Monday 25 June 2012

Caribbean Style Pork Skewers

It's nearly time for the build to start on the smoker. The brickwork and that is getting done tomorrow an the metal work as soon as possible after that. Meanwhile though, I did these the other night - Caribbean Style Pork Skewers.

I used:

Pork loin steaks
Reggae Reggae sauce
Red sweet chilli peppers
Sweet potato
Red onion
Ground chilli flakes
Ground roasted garlic and herbs
I chopped up the pork and mixed up some Reggae Reaggae sauce with some water, put it all in a dish and left it in the fridge covered up with cling film for a few hours. If I'd thought of this before I went to work it could have sat a lot longer and ended up stronger tasting but it was ok. I half boiled the sweet potato and chopped up all the other stuff into big chunks. All of this was then stuck on skewers and seasoned with the above mentioned chilli flakes, garlic and herbs.

Caribbean pork skewers raw




Meanwhile, the chiminea is just about ready for cooking on, nice hot coals, no flames so I hoy them in. I've never done anything like this with sweet tatey - just mash which I thought was horrible - but I decided to give it a try this way and was pleasantly surprised. It went crispy on the edges and was proper nice, a bit like a roasty but with a turnipy centre.


Caribbean pork skewers cooking in chiminea


They were nice. Very nice. If I did it again though I'd go to the bother of making my own marinade and letting it soak longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment