Thursday 5 July 2012

Building the Smoker Part 2

The build is still progressing and is so far going well. Last week, we added fire bricks to the fire chamber. Here you can see them through the hatch:

Smoker's fire chamber with fire bricks


Last Thursday I was in the pub when I got talking to a mate about the smoker and how I need some pipe for it.



As luck would have it, he knew of somewhere that some 5" flue liner was going to waste and he'd have a word about getting it for me. It's not stove pipe but will do the job perfectly although thicker than intended but that's what dampers are for. Here it is with them fitted:

Smoker with pipes done

I know it's not that bonny to look at at the minute. A bit space age maybe. But imagine it with the doors and chimney hat on and all the metal painted black. The pipe was a 'mare to work with as it's just like a big spring with razor sharp raggy ends that flail about while you're trying to bend it to your will. It's sealed in place with fire foam and strapped to the back with a length of matal strap.

On the door front, a deal was struck with a mate of mine who can get the doors made in return for me and my dad building him one of these. He's supplying materials though. There should be no more hurdles after that though and then the cooking can start.

No comments:

Post a Comment